HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:36:42 -0600
Ron,

Sorry, I was feeling a little out of sorts ... and the question
seemed so basic that my first thought was: "Didn't this person ever
go to a field school?"  "Should this person even be allowed to work
on a historic site, or any site, for that matter?"

But, after some introspection, I came to the conclusion that there is
in fact no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer ...
Guilty as charged.

Of course, the methodology used to dig a cistern is whatever is
appropriate to the feature, the site, and what questions are being
asked ...

Cisterns, by there very nature, are filled in AFTER their use,
although there may be some contemporary materials included as well,
especially in their basal units.

Here in Illinois, we am typically working with rural farmstead
cisterns, associated with an existing or former residence.  Defined
at the surface, these features probably average about 2-3 meters in
diameter x 1.5 - 2.5 meters deep.  Given the relatively large size,
and unknown content, our standard strategy is to bisect or quarter
them (depending on the overall size), usually digging that first unit
in arbitrary levels (10-20 cm), screening the fill as we go, and
likely taking flot samples as we go.

After taking the first quarter or half, as the case may be, a
decision is then made as to whether further excavation is
appropriate.  From that point, an additional sample or the entire
feature excavated, but in this case using natural levels, if any,
based on the stratigraphy revealed in the first fractional unit.
Taking flots, screening fill, etc.

We have found this to be a very useful and cost-effective method, and
have used the same basic technique on other large features, cellar
holes, etc.  Essentially a Phase II evaluation technique that can be
rolled over directly into full mitigation, if appropriate.

I would note that the Illinois literature, mostly gray, is full of
details about cistern excavations, and I would be more than willing
to share a few citations if the interested party would like to
contact me off list ...

Mark

--

Mark C. Branstner, RPA
Historic Archaeologist

Illinois Transportation
Archaeological Research Program
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556

"I hope there's pudding" - Luna Lovegood (HP5)

"If you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"- Anonymous