HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:48:54 +0200
What?!? I'd have thought the destructive process started long ago: there is
a very long tradition in erasing evidence of native achievements (trying to
argue all those mounds & things had been built by Druids, Welsh, Vikings,
lost tribes of Israelites, etc.), trying to make slavery/the antebellum
South look romantic, whitewashing a history of invasions in places like the
Philippines, various parts of New/Mexico, Cuba, Honduras, etc., etc., etc.,
and I am surprised that a historical archaeologist, of all people, is
apparently unaware of the political dimensions of our work (i.e. sending it
all down the memory hole: there are reasons why Orwell invoked recycled
monuments & geological remains in "1984")
You should also be aware that not everyone who subscribes to this list is a
US-American, & some of us do sometimes get a little tired of traces of
cultural hegemony ("this great country," "historical archaeology begins at
1492")