HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Legare <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 06:31:29 -0700
Ron,
Per Lee, some of the people who inhabited the area she is investigating came from Rio Arriba County in NM. This population is Hispanic/Basque/detribalized Pueblo/Apache/Navajo.  The vertical logs in question were coated with adobe plaster on the inside.  In local terms, it is a jacal.  There is a tradition of mixed architecture here in which different rooms use different styles of architecture.  A single house can be vertical log with plaster (jacal), adobe, and horizontal log.  I have been in such houses.  The mixture results from the need to create additional rooms with whatever materials and help are available at the time the room is built.  Rooms are added over time as the need arises.  In the 1930's there were a number of people from Texas and Oklahoma who came to NM to become cattle partidos (sharecroppers) to survive the depression.  There are several examples of jacal homes that were built for them by their Hispanic neighbors. The stacked stone
 fireplaces are also a common feature of these places.
David Legare