HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Garrow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Garrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:30:03 -0500
John-

I found paired privies in the backyard space of a commercial establishment in downtown Knoxville, Tennessee, on the Knoxville Courthouse project that I thought might be for males and femailes. They dated to the late 19th century. The older privies were backfilled with the excavated dirt of the later privies and contained few artifacts. One of the two latest privies was loaded with all types of artifacts (including Civil War artifacts such as cannonballs, ammunition, and a sword, and the paired later privy was practically devoid of artifacts.

Pat Garrow