HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dick Goddard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:58:30 -0700
I am looking for a graduate student interested in doing archaeo-botany
for their Master's or Doctorate research.  I operate a field school at
Fort Garland, Colorado for 6 weeks each summer.  Under the fort
commissary, we have encountered a storage cellar that burned and was
subsequently sealed with fill.  This past summer we recovered, in
addition to other artifacts,  5 perfectly preserved onions, indicating
that there were provisions in the cellar when it burned.  Since we
believe most of the cellar has yet to be excavated, I would like to have
someone on board, with or working on an expertise in plant remains.
Because I am funded by a grant with a fixed budget for this season, I
will not have funds for this position. However, I would seriously
consider including funds both for an archaeo-botanist and for analysis
in future budgets if this summer's results seem to warrant it.  Should
someone be interested in working this summer with the field school, I
would make all of the data available to them, and I would solicit their
input concerning the research design.  Field dates this summer will be
June 16 to July 23.  Further details about the site and the field school
can be seen at:

fieldschool.adams.edu
        or
http://www2.adams.edu/academics/fieldschool/

If you are interested or know someone who is, please contact me via
email or conventional mail.

Richard (Dick) Goddard, Ph.D.
Department of History, Government, & Philosophy
Adams State College
Alamosa, Colorado  81101