HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:22:05 EST

In the Crawford County Cemeteries monograph that Robert  Mainfort and I did
through the Arkansas Archeological Survey (published in  2006), I have a rather
extensive history and dating criteria for several classes  of utilitarian
buttons, including the various forms of 2 part metal pants  buttons, etc, using
U.S. Patent Office records, and 19th century  catalogues from my collection.  I
 also include a detailed chronology of safety pins and pants/vest cinch
buckles  (i.e., the very common 1855 Hartshorn buckle, in both forms).
The citation is below; the monograph can be purchased  from the survey at:
http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/archinfo/Publications.pdf
Davidson, James M.
2006            Chapter 6: Material Culture, Chronology, and socioeconomics.
In Two  Historic Cemeteries in Crawford County, Arkansas, Robert C. Mainfort,
Jr. and  James M. Davidson, editors, pp. 97-218. Research  Series No. 62.
Arkansas Archeological Survey, Fayetteville.
James  Davidson
University of  Florida