HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lucy Wayne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lucy Wayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:14:06 -0500
If you ever make it to North Central Florida, we have a great site here,
Dudley Farm State Historic Park, which is ALL original buildings.  It has
been a working farm since before the Civil War and was owned by a single
family until it was deeded to the state about 10 or 15 years ago.  The state
was able to obtain extensive oral histories from the last of the family
owners (who had life residency) and now operates it as a living history
park.  They grow examples of the original crops, have livestock and you can
tour the various farm buildings (~11 from various periods).  The state has
done (and continues to do) extensive historic research, completed
archaeological studies of much of the building area, and used historic
preservation architects both to document the structures and to advise on
preservation.

Lucy Wayne