HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:15:59 -0700
From:
Mark Cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Call for papers: “Big Histories at Small Places”, Society for Historical
Archaeology, 2010

Greetings!

We are organizing a multi-disciplinary session entitled “Big Histories at Small
Places” for the 2010 Society for Historical Archaeology (SHA) meetings on 6-
10 January 2010 at Amelia Island Plantation near Jacksonville, Florida, USA
(http://www.sha.org/about/conferences/2010.cfm).  This proposed session
will focus upon relatively recent discoveries (realizations, identifications) of
significant long-term historical trajectories or short-term historical events
occurring at places of very limited spatial scope.

The session is intended to be explicitly non-academic in tone.  Presenters are
not limited to archaeologists, and we would very much like to have historians,
historical architects, journalists, etc. as participants.  Presentations must
focus on material culture and involve plenty of graphic content appropriate for
a popular (non-academic) audience.  While we anticipate primarily US
locations for paper topics, the location can be anywhere in the world.  Ideally,
the end result will be a popular publication, potentially suitable for educational
curricula.

One example of a big history from a small place is our presentation about
community archaeological work at the Baranov Museum property.  In a very
small archaeological sampling (0.22%) of this small 1 acre parcel during 10
days in June 2008, we uncovered approximately 4000 years of land use:
material from prehistoric Early Kachemak period, late-18th – mid-19th century
Russian-American Company (RAC) occupation, mid-19th century Native Alutiiq
culture, early 20th century building and habitation, early-mid-20th century
gardens, post-1964 Good Friday earthquake/tsunami urban renewal, 1980 park
construction, and the 2008 present.  While all these are included in the
broadly understood land use history of the city of Kodiak environs, the
revealed human history of this small parcel of land lent unanticipated clarity
and specificity to local historical knowledge: the first prehistoric site ever
found in the city, two previously undocumented early RAC buildings, a rare
woven Alutiiq basket, domestic household children’s toys, a building collapsed
by 1912 volcanic ash, a ca. 1930 stone-lined garden path, tumbled structural
material from urban renewal razings, and the pre-park ground surface.  All this
visible, hands-on Kodiak history came from a very little piece of ground,
demonstrating the omnipresence of history hidden just below the surface.

If this proposed 2010 SHA session interests you, please send us an abstract
by 10 July 2009, or write or call us prior to that date with ideas or questions.

Thank you!

Mark Cassell
Territory Heritage Resource Consulting (Anchorage, Alaska)
907-360-2668

Katie Oliver
Baranov Museum (Kodiak, Alaska; www.baranovmuseum.org)
907-486-5920