HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:46:17 -0500
From:
Eric Proebsting <[log in to unmask]>
Hello All,

Thanks so much to those who responded to my question about the archaeology of early-to-mid 19th-century stables.  Here is an updated bibliography of reports that may also be of use to some of you.

Branstner, Mark C.
1989   The Cobo Hall Expansion Project.  Part 2: The Macomb/Cass Farm Mitigation.  Submitted to Turner Construction, Detroit, MI, by Great Lakes Research, Willliamston, MI.

Bray, R. T.
1971     Archaeology at the Joseph Smith Stable, Southwest Corner Water and Carlin Streets, Nauvoo, Illinois.  University of Missouri, American Archaeology Division, Columbia, MO.

Geier, Clarence R.
2001   An Archaeological Assessment of the Proposed Belle Grove Stable Complex Site (44FK522).  James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.

Heath, Barbara J.
1995     Excavations at 44CP20: Point of Honor Stable, Lynchburg, Virginia.  The Corporation for Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest, Forest, VA.

In addition, there is limited, but useful information available on the archaeology of George Washington’s stable, which was conducted in the 1950s at Mount Vernon.  I also found a report on the archaeology of the 1871 White House stable.  For those interested, I’ve been told the report might be available for research purposes through the White House curator’s office.

All the best,

Eric Proebsting