From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 22:22:11 -0400
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

… the established average size for European bees was and is
>5.2 to 5.3 mm and that 4.9 is appropriate for African bees.

An observation here with the feral recovery is that early rebounding
ferals were very rare here, but were generally 4.9 to 5.1 mm.

Now that the feral recovery is very well established in my area and ferals
abundant, I have noticed an increase in feral cell sizes to an average of
5.2 and 5.3 mm and rare to find any ferals smaller than 5.2.

Now how to explain the observation, I am not sure.
But I am pondering a theory that it is because, as varroa suppression
traits are being developed in these ferals, it no longer necessitates a
varroa mode of resistance based solely on a single mechanism such as cell
size.

As of now,  favoring the theory that as varroa resistance mechanisms
develop in the ferals, the ferals will begin to return to a cell size that
would enable peak efficiency in colony functions.  Brings up questions
like,,,, might better resistant traits be found in the 5.2 to 5.3 ferals?
and might smaller sizes potentially indicate a lacking of traits, or
perhaps indicate a strain lagging behind in development of essential
traits of resistance? and was small cell perhaps. ‘natures stop gap’
solution for varroa, and may become no obsolete in the feral populsion as
traits of resistance continue to develop?

Best Wishes,
Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/