From:
Amy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:36:09 -0600
On the Olympic swimmer being discussed:
   And it's always possible that the palate issue made breastfeeding difficult
  and then the lack of breastfeeding exacerbated the facial malformation.

  Holding up exceptions (Michael Jordan, Olympic athletes) and using them as
  examples may draw attention initially but does nothing to accurately
  describe the statistical realities and relative likelihood of normally and
  artificially fed humans.

  Before we go any further in diagnosing Phelps, I'd like to say that it's always possible that all the speculation done here is incorrect, with the exception of ADHD, which Phelps discussed. We must consider the equally obvious "malformation" of this man's body, especially his upper body, which is extremly long and narrow. He's 6'4" with legs the length of a man who is 6'0" and a trunk of a man who is 6'8". His wingspan is an incredible 6'7" despite being "only" 6'4" tall. His entire upper body is very elongated, and it is my belief that a certain amount (some, all, none? I don't know) of his facial structure is similar to the structure of the rest of his upper body.

  Amy