From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:31:35 EDT
Dear Friends:

I agree with Magda's comments.
----------

"I feel  sympathy for you all at the individual level.  However, aside from
the impatience at my fellow Americans collectively for their strange
customs, I do feel very angry at the way this way of thinking and
exploitation is exported worldwide, poisoning things for the rest of us.

I know many will bridle at this statement, but I make it to let you  know how
really unsavoury this whole discussion has appeared from afar.  "

----------

A few years ago, a British friend of mine, active in banking and  national
finance, brought me to a meeting in Washington, DC with some British  experts
seeking to bring the profit notion to the UK health system. I was  brought along
as a low-level expert, low-level meaning one that actually works  with
clients as opposed to being an administrator or policy-maker. All I kept  saying was
"Don't do it, don't bring the US system to your country.....no one is  happy
save for the few at the top that are making fortunes." I doubt I will have
any impact. In a capitalist society, greed trumps everything else.

 While the US does very well with acute care, I see little about the  US
health system that is worth replicating. If you are in a car accident or  collapse
from a brain tumor or need a transplant, this is the place to be. If  you
have a chronic condition, or need assistance with any part of the  life-cycle,
forget it, unless you are into prescription medications.

The US uses more Ritalin and drugs more children than any other country on
earth. To me, that is an indictment of how poor our birth practices and general
 nutrition are.

Yet, there is enough awareness being raised that I am feeling  encouraged for
the first time in years. The movement towards woman-powered birth  is
growing. First there was Ricki Lake's film, "the Business of Being  Born."  There is
a play, "Bold" that is making the rounds for the third  year. I've been
invited to be in the TalkBack discussion at the end.

Things are working so poorly that even those in denial have to notice.
Except that our country is fighting a war on 2 fronts, so there isn't much money
left over for mothers and babies.

I wonder where we would be if women's  contribution was recognized and
valued, instead of merely counted on. Women work  in hospitals and schools, yet
can't find time to eat or pee..........or pump.  Women can adapt to adverse
circumstances, and institutions are built around  this ability.

feeling very cynical this morning.............

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
craniosacral therapy  practitioner
_www.myspace.com/adonicalee