From:
Jamie Huddleston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 13:49:25 -0400
Since there has been sharing going around about our wonderful breastfed
children who support breastfeeding, I want to share a funny story about my
daughter.  She is 2 years and 9 months, and still breastfeeding.  I am
pregnant with my second baby.  I've been trying to wean, and have been
talking to Emma about the baby drinking "Mommies milk".  I have been very
careful at my wording, trying to stay away from phrases like "save some for
the baby", and have been telling her that she can eat other foods, but that
the baby would only be able to drink Mommies milk for quite some time.

Well, one day she was nursing, and looked at me and said "baby will drink
Mommies milk?".  I told her yes, and she preceded to tell me that she didn't
want baby to drink Mommies milk.  I asked her what the baby would drink and
she said "milk from the refridgerator, that I will get him and that I will put in a
sippy cup".  I thought that was so funny- apparently she doens't want to
share her Mommies milk with the new baby- thank goodness I still have quite a
few months before the baby arrives to work on her sharing!

Also, we have 2 friends with new babies who are breastfed.  Everytime Emma
sees these babies nursing, she goes up to the babies and asks if they are
drinking Mommies milk too.  She knows!  I plan to raise her to always support
breastfeeding!  I always love it too when she needs to feed her "babies" and
lifts her shirt and puts them to her own tiny little nipple!

Jamie Huddleston, IBCLC