Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:33:55 GMT
A small clarification:

The upcoming conference in Nebraska has the theme of Chemical Free Beekeeping, and many of the speakers are involved with the Organic list.  With that said, the conference is run by The Nebraska Beekeepers Association.

This theme was voted upon by members of the Nebraska club.  We have also been told that the theme for EAS will be similar in 2009.

Please do remember that since this is being done at a college, there will be no 'at the door' registration...the registration deadline is November 14, and appears to be firm.  The brochure with the registration form can be found here:

http://www.nebraskabeekeepers.org/content/NE_BeekeepingConf_Nov08_web.pdf

I don't know specifics of everyone's talks, but I will say that Ramona is working on her talk about microbial activity in the beehive.  This is a hugely under studied and appreciated aspect of bees and beekeeping.  There has been some good research (especially by Martha Gilliam), and the Tucson lab especially has been extremely helpful with providing Ramona with copies of some of these studies.  IMHO, this is the most interesting beekeeping topic that never gets discussed.  These microbes (at least 8000 types in a healthy hive) are not only responsible for pollen fermentation, but also produce nutrients required by the bees, and low levels of some pathogens actually keep each other in check!

The updated list of speakers:
    * Dee Lusby
    * Dean Stiglitz
    * Laurie (Ramona) Herboldsheimer
    * Corwin Bell
    * Michael Bush
    * Laura Tyler
    * Michael Palmer

Look forward to seeing some of you in Nebraska next month!

deknow