Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:55:50 -0700
Wise ones, please could someone help me find a reference, URL or even book
quote for this?  I know I have seen mention before of transmission of
illness via baby's mouth to the mother through her nipple.  In cases like
HIV it could in theory cause an HIV+ baby to infect his/her mother I
understand, but most of the time, it should just give a signal to the mom's
immune system that the baby needs antibodies specific to a certain type of
illness, shouldn't it?  Like...if the baby has a simple common cold, his or
her saliva being in contact with the mom's nipples would make her immune
system realize that *that* specific strain of the common cold is what he
needs antibodies for right now...before she even gets sick with that
specific strain of cold (assuming the baby gets sick first) am I correct in
my understanding of this principle?  I am looking around for this...I tried
my French copy of the BAB (I should really get an English copy someday LOL)
and didn't have any luck really in searching things like "antibodies" in the
index.  In looking in Jack Newman's "Guide to Breastfeeding", chapter 12 on
Maternal Illness and Breastfeeding does have a paragraph entitled "The
Enteromammary Circulation" which by its title looks like the type of thing I
am seeking but it does not mention exposure to illness and subsequent
antibody formation *via* the mother's nipple...

However I am sure I have seen mention of this before!

Thanks in advance!
Fio

--
Maman to Sandrine, 8, Nyssa 5, and laat lametjie due 8/08.
«Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been

http://babystrology.com/tickers/baby-ticker-glass.swf?parent=Fio&year=2008&month=8&day=20&babycount=1