HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:05:12 -0600
Bob,
Very interesting. Maybe he didn't look hard enough. I note that the blood was used to make a cement substance, and that it dried quickly (depending, I suppose, on the other ingredients). So, if one were to include it in adobe floor material, it might serve the purpose of making the floor hard; it might also require rapid mixing, pouring, and finishing lest it set up too quickly.
I still have to wonder . . . but I also think it would be a useful exercise, and perhaps more necessary now that you've provided us with references, to see whether, where, and how it is recorded as a practice in the Southwest.
Maybe Dedie and I are, as my father-in-law used to say, full of "june pruice."
Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico
mail: P.O. Box 2087, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87504
physical: 407 Galisteo Street, Suite B-100, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87501
tel: 505.827.6387          fax: 505.827.3904
e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Da_n the books! Let's go get some data!