HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Terrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:06:51 -0500
Meris:

A context for work camps recently prepared for the California Department of
Transportation is available online in draft form (see below).  While it is
geared primarily at structured work camps, it does tangentially address
"hobo jungles" (another good search term) and Hoovervilles.

Medin, A.  2007 [DRAFT] Work Camps:  Historic Context and Archaeological
Research Design.  Sacramento, California:  California Department of
Transportation.
http://www.sonoma.edu/asc/publications/HARD/Work%20Camps_Research%20Design_D
raft2_web.pdf

In Minnesota, we recently completed a Phase I and II archaeological study of
a Depression-era hobo jungle located along a railroad corridor in the
western part of the state.

Best,

Michelle

Michelle M. Terrell, Ph.D., RPA