HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Meli Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:08:59 -0400
I think the manufacturers' point was that the caps sealed well enough
for transport/delivery the first time and sealed well enough for in-home
use thereafter, but that the milk bottler would not want to re-use
them.  Hence the cheap supply of replacement caps for the manufacturer.
By the time we got milk delivered, it was a dieing industry.  And it
definitely had tabs on the cardboard seals for loose resealing at home,
but you threw away the cardboard when it was empty and sent the bottle
back without it.
Meli Diamanti