From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 09:44:31 -0700
Deryk Barker writes,

>... Denis, you are being too polite. IIRC what SC said was that
> listening to a recording was like making love to a photo of MM.
>
> Mind you, he made sure his Munich concerts were recorded...

What Deryk recalls is one version of several atrtributed to Celi.
Mine is just another.  If there's a need for even more explictness then
here's a quote, passed along by one of his biographers, Klaus Umbach, "
Recording is onanism.  In bed everyone realizes that the original is
unattainable." As for Celi's role in having his work recorded while
conducting the Munich Philharmonic, it wasn't he who gave the order.
Rather, it was the collegium of the orchestra.  And that only as of 1988.
From 1972 to 1988 no recordings were made at the Philharmonie, though
the Bavarian Broacsting network did quietly record some of his live
performances.  For anyone wanting Celi alla elleteronica, pirate stuff
is available in plenty.  I've got recordings on such recondite labels
as Arkadia, Hunt Productions, Dino Classics, and others.

"Denis Fodor" <[log in to unmask]>