From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:20:27 -0500
Hello Paul & All,
First let me say I always appreciate your input Paul. However please keep an
open mind to what I am about to say.

> "This product is toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment.
> Do not apply this product while bees are actively visiting the
> treated area."

Many people can look at a tree in bloom and not see the insects working the
bloom. A good example was a friend which said his apple trees were losing
all their leaves and asked for me to take a look. We walked out to his trees
and most of the leaves were gone. tens of thousands of tent catapillers
(same color as leaves) were feeding on the leaves.

I asked Don if he could see what was wrong? He said No! Thats why I called
you!

He was shocked when I pointed out his problem and embarrased.

> So although Assail may be applied during bloom, it cannot be
> applied when bees are actively foraging.

The above is a product which needs a label change. All beeks are asking for
is a few label changes. If Bayer would meet and discuss then the tension
would ease in my opinion.

I do not know if you keep bees or not Paul but if not let me expalin about
bees. You can walk into a field of Clover at the height of the summer honey
flow at times and you will not see a single bee. Kind of like this morning
after a couple inch rain. So the grower thinks the bees are not actively
foraging. He starts mixing his posien and an hour later when he starts to
spray the blooms the insects LOVE the bees are on the bloom. Not being a
beekeeper himself and with no label police to check his work the grower
sprays killing bees.

> In the bee kill cases you mentioned, how do we know the grower /
> applicator fully followed the label directions and sprayed the correct
> dosage and sprayed only when bees were not actively visiting the
> treated area?

The sad truth is many growers which do not need bees for pollination do not
care if bees die. Two things need to happen to protect the bees.

1. ALL spraying needs to be done in the evening after the insects quit
working the bloom. Orchards need to be kept mowed under the trees right
before spraying to eliminate the clover etc. the spray will fall on and the
bees work.
crews report in the daytime and many spray in the daytime. When I worked for
a grower in Florida we only sprayed in the late evening. Never in the
daytime. His son was a commercial beekeeper and a beekeeper I worked with in
later years.

2. NEVER spray trees/plants bees work when in bloom. If you feel you have to
only spray in late evening.

3. Always tell the beekeeper with hives in the area when a spray is to be
applied.

Although the above product is a neonicotinoid it has little to do with the
issue except for what might be the result of the neonicotinoid spray hitting
the ground and taken up into the tree. Most commercial apple orchards spray
insecticide around 14-15 times in a season.

bob
bob