ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Yuan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:03:53 -0400

Hello Anna,

First of all, it's pretty brave posting an exhibit on YouTube for comments,
kudos to you.  I wish more museums would try this.

If I may offer a few suggestions to consider, try...

1) The exhibit seems like it is doing two separate things: showing how bones
move & simulating actual bike rides.  Usually when an exhibit is forced to
provide a "toggle" switch like this, it is better to just have two exhibits,
instead of one that tries to do everything.

If two exhibits are not possible, consider a split screen (or separate
monitors) of the "bones" and the "road".

2) A visitor's first inclination will generally be to fiddle with something
active over something more passive like a touch screen.  Ideally, pedaling
the bike should trigger whatever happens on screen.  If that's not possible,
then try relocating the controls on the bike (so they don't have to get up,
change something, and come back).  Consider a simple embedded 4" touch
screen to choose the bike model, then let them go.  Vary the wind speed
through the experience (synched with wind noise) to show resistance.

To get them to interact with the touch screen first, consider how to make
the content on screen more exciting than pedaling a bike-- otherwise it's a
lost cause getting them to do the touch screen first.  Consider using the
attract screen to challenge them to something, throw in a bit of humor, pose
a question, or state something intriguing.

3) Since their main viewing position will be from the bike (not standing
up), try placing the screen directly in front of them to show that the
multimedia is important and integral to the exhibit.

4) Just throwing this out there... What if you had two bikes racing each
other? Now that would get me interested in tweaking initial conditions...
like do I want a tall geared road bike, or a mountain bike, a cool looking
banana seat that will let me lose in style?

Okay, maybe this is a bit far, but I know that sizing a bike frame does rely
on knowledge of bone kinetics.  Maybe a virtual bike design exhibit that
lets you change frame shape and crank length to see the how the bones move
more or less fluidly?  Perhaps it will get all those snotty kids riding
improperly sized BMX bikes to reconsider.  ;P

Good luck!

Eric

Eric Yuan
Exhibit Developer