Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:25:27 -0500
I am a long-term lurker on lactnet, a mother who was both successful and
unsuccessful at breastfeeding, a NICU RN, and a hospital-based IBCLC.
I am immensely grateful to the numerous experts who share their wisdom and
stories on this messageboard, and to people like Morgan who bravely
battle "the system".
BUT....One issue that I see recurring repeatedly on this messageboard, that
does nothing but create a polarizing "us against them" mentality, is the
constant criticism of healthcare personnel. The recent posts about "weekend-
trained" LCs in hospitals is a perfect example.
I understand that there are many changes that could be made in the provision
of care to mothers in the US, and a lot of education to be done for many
HCPs, but when negative stereotyping, generalizations, and broad criticisms
are made, it tars us all with the same brush, and that is a disservice to all the
nurses, doctors, Lactation Consultants (under whichever credential they were
trained), and other healthcare personnel that go about their days trying to
provide the best care possible to mothers and babies, at the risk of being
blamed, criticized, or sued, if something goes "wrong".
Over my 20 year career, in several settings, I have worked with some amazing
people -
from the L&D nurses who help anxious mothers put the baby to the breast for
the first time, even though they have another mother about to deliver in the
room next door,
to the Nursery Nurses who valiantly attempt to help babies latch to some of
the flattest nipples I've ever seen,
to the Lactation Consultants who skip lunch yet again because a baby decides
he is ready to eat at the same time as the LC's lunch break,
to the NICU nurses who gently co-erce the frightened premie mother into
doing STSC with her baby all attached to tubes and wires, or squeal gleefully
when a new mother brings those precious drops of colostrum for her baby,
to the Neos who hold off on starting feeds until the mother is able to provide
her own milk, and were instrumental in getting our Milk Bank up and running.
We are not all devils worshipping at the altar of medicalized birth.
Many of us work tirelessly, day after day, assessing each situation as it
arises, supporting the breastfeeding dyad, and living in hope that one day the
tide will turn and society, as a whole, will fully understand and support a
birthing and mothering experience that is in the best interests of all parties
involved.

Please be gentle with your criticisms, resist the generalizations, and remember
that stereotyping benefits no-one.

Kay