From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:31:44 -0700
Peter writes:

Back in the 1980s I kept 400+ colonies in San Diego County. In that region,
anyone who didn't use tetracycline was quickly overrun with AFB. And
believe
me, there have always been people who think the facts don't apply to them.

Reply:
That is still going on I would think. Even here those around me that are commercial have bad problems of foul and treat and with mites fumigate and to me this is wrong. Going back to small cell with top tolerance of 4.9mm in center of broodnest will aleviate the problem, and you simply learn to cull any frames with more then 6 cells of foul or other problems of secondary disease, as you still want the bees to have a sublethal dosage, like playing in sand box, to stay healthy.

Even Dr Jerry Bromenshenk wrote me and said my bees were remarkably clean of virus with his lookings, and what initial results I have gotten back only showed some nosema which I didn't think was a real problem. Still awaiting rest of results though, but even still went on with the bees. Split the strong to build yards back up from last fall this spring with simple walk away splits, and this year so far 2008 each yard has given barrel honey and year still going on with more to take probably equal again, besides packing the bottom three deeps around the brood again to get reserve stores.

So what is foul brood if the bees on a natural system in tune with Nature can handle it......while others commercial around you have problems and must constantly use the dopes and artificial feeds?

Dee A. Lusby