From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 09:47:12 +1000
Further to my original post, and an earlier one from Nina, I have found out that there are indeed some LLL Leaders who are active in Australia, supporting local mothers with group meetings and/or telephone counselling.  I don't know details of all of them, but they are in a number of locations and are less visible than ABA groups because of not having a national structure, but they are there.
Every resource to provide mother-support and accurate information to new mothers and their babies is an asset.  All of us work to support breastfeeding, one mother at a time. - whether we are IBCLCs, other health professionals, breastfeeding counsellors with one or other group, or peer counsellors (rare in Australia).  Lucky is the mother who is able to be put in touch with local support of one kind or other.  There is never enough of it to reach every mother.
Virginia
In Brisbane, Queensland, Australia