Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:07:10 -0400
 Breastfeeding the older child, giving up with the next:

I agree that Diane is observing something we all see. I have seen it numerous times and I do think there is a bonding/
oxytocin component related often to birth trauma/disconnect. I also think that the mom often feels that she is competent to
meet the needs of the older child--and incompetent--in light of the new baby's feeding difficulties--to meet his needs.
Because feeding competency lies with the infant, this would not be the case when birth and feeding are part of a physiologic
whole. When they are not, the mother can regain her own competency by focusing on the "needs" of the older child, while
being removed, even sometimes dismissive or callous to the needs of the newborn.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC