From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:37:03 +0000
Hi everyone

At WABA we've received a request for information
from a mother living in Conroe and attending a
mom and baby group held on church premises.  It
appears that an email is sent to new members,
saying that nursing mothers need to be discreet
and covered, and that if needed a receiving
blanket could be provided.  At the first meeting,
one mother felt it necessary to remove herself
from the group and sit alone on the other side of the room to nurse her baby.

A google search turned up some good information
at
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm
confirming that thirty-nine states, including
Texas, have laws with language specifically
allowing women to breastfeed in any public or
private location.   The site advises that Tex.
Health Code Ann. § 165.001, et seq. (1995)
authorizes a woman to breastfeed her child in any
location and provides for the use of a
"mother-friendly" designation for employers who
have policies supporting work site breastfeeding.
(HB 340, HB 359).  Unfortunately it looks as if
the existing link has been updated, and I'm lost!

Can anyone point me in the right direction to
find the actual text of the bill/statute?    Any
further info/thoughts about advocacy for this
mom, eg organizations closer to home, who could
help her advocate for breastfeeding with this
group would also be much appreciated.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Co-coordinator, WABA BF & HIV Task Force