From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:21:08 -0400
Ted Hancock wrote:

>They not only tested legally registered additives but two
> stroke oil and used engine oil as well. Now why the heck would they be
> testing them? (BTW, two stroke engine oil scored better than the additive
> I buy from GM.

Ashless outboard engine oil has been a classic additive to diesel fuel for more than 20 years. It lubricates the
injectors. Motor oil is sometimes recycled by some idiots by adding it to the fuel. Good way to eventually ruin
the car.

There have been recent studies on diesel exhaust. One I read recently is -

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-03/bc-dei030708.php

another about kids on school buses-

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-04/acs-cos041805.php

heart disease

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-09/uoe-dem091007.php

asthma

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-12/icl-def120407.php

I have owned VW diesels since 1976. Great cars. Most health issues are related to soot.

I do doubt that the exhaust is as much a problem as it is being elevated to on the list. Most diesel engines are
run overnight because of the cold. If the nights are warm, there really is not a good reason to run them and
plenty of economical reasons not to. So if it is that cold, I would guess more bee losses are from cold than
exhaust. The cluster is not there after that much pounding.

And, as noted many times, we have not seen CCD here in Maine after the trucks have come all the way up from
Florida, even with the new and old fuel additives.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine