Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Robin Roots,Rn Ibclc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 02:15:12 -0400
Jaye I understand your frustration.  I have the same thoughts but for hospital
LC's that are not nurses and got their hours signed off because its not what
you know it who ya know.  I know you got your hours the old fashion way and
it just busts your gut when  people slide by.  It isn't fair.

Many of us RN's have worked (and are required to use only the hours of pt
and baby contact)  so you have to work at least 5 to 7 years to truthfully put
the hours YOU had contact with baby and mom.  I know some people don't do
it the honest way, but others do.  Some RN's work at a busy hospital and
have lots of pts to care for and are helping moms right and  left.  They do
care how initiation of breastfeeding gets  started.  They have served their
own time in the trenches working with or against the docs.  We have studied
our brains out for nursing school and then need to study our brains out again
for the IBCLC test.  It took me a long time to accumulate hours because I only
used the hours I did hands on breastfeeding.  We had other RN IBCLC some for
20 or more years to help show us the ropes.  I don't feel I've skimmped on
anything.  If truth be told my horizon is broadened due to the length of hours
required, and the grinding curriculum of nursing school.  Those of us who wish
to be LC's knuckle down, learn, read, go to moms groups, pick the brains of
our elders, go to conferences.  Then on top of that be responsible because of
the RN initials to at a moments notice resusitate an infant that is not making
the transition to extrauterine life as we expected.

To much is given, much is expected.  I sometimes feel I should not be held to
the same standards as the staff RN.  But the hospital doesn't care.  so not
only do I need to study and learn all I can about the breastfeeding dyad, I stiil
must keep the RN stuff up to date and ready to execute at any time.  I don't
think thats fair.  I am a staff LC.  what the heck...  I bust my butt, seeing
folks even if I stay over as I know how much time all of us give away for free.
Either because we want to learn, or we care about the moms under our care..
or both.  If I were an isolated case I wouldn't be defensive about it.  I am not.
I have been working with moms for 20 years and I think that gives me the
right to nag a little.  Its been a long day.  Hospital and home visit till 10pm.

robin