From:
Lionel Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:54:51 -0600
Hi all,

I am a hobby (50 hives) beekeeper in North Alabama. I spend a good amount
each year to keep bees going. I would guess that I spend in the neighborhood
of $36 which includes re-queening and all the chemicals used. This does not
include anything for time, gasoline, smoker, veil and truck expenses.

The drought really killed our honey quantity in 2007. The quality was very
good.

The large Calif/Dakota operation did very good if he received around $125.00
per hive for Almond pollination. His honey volume was terrible and I feel
for him as for myself in a dry year.

I am retired from my job and have been keeping bees for about 35 years. I
have never seen beekeeping as hard as it is becoming. More pests, more
pesticides and less effective ways of treating problems. Years before the
mites, all we had was foul brood, nosema, chalk brood, and a few others that
were treatable very easy.

Lionel