From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:56:01 -0400
Peter L. Borst wrote:
> I communicated with Dr. Erickson almost ten years ago on this topic. He said
> We conducted our first trial with cell size and Varroa in 1993-1996.

Not sure if you watched the presentation but she brought up older studies including, from my recollection, this one.

The older trails were with AHB and they did show decreased mite loads with small cell size. What Berry wanted
was a trial of EHB and small cell.

The presentation is well worth watching since it does include a lot more than just small cell trials. That does
not show up until the 20 minute point of a one hour lecture.

As I noted on a prior post, what really comes across is hygienic behavior is the real key to mite control. We
are back to fundamental beekeeping with a trait that has been sought for many bee problems.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine