From:
Elle Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:33:35 -0700
David Lamb writes:

>I am  glad that Elle Hogan brought up the richness of fiddle tunes.
>The old Kentucky tradition is a treasure trove and is plenty serious by
>any standard.  I myself play the fiddle tunes of the Swedish province
>of Dalarna, and I believe that some of these old melodies are as profound
>as any in the world.  I too am allowed some sacrilege on account of being
>a certified geezer and having composed music for well over 50 years.  My
>daughter is a professional bluegrass and country fiddler, and she has
>taught me a lot about that tradition.  Last summer we recorded a CD
>together consisting of some 20 original Swedish-style fiddle tunes that
>I composed during the last 30 years.  If anybody is interested in this,
>write to me off list.
>
>Now then: where the heck  is Dove's Roost Farm?

How delightful to read your fiddle content post!  Now, an appeal to
your expertise.  There was a West Va fiddler - Henry Reed...now beloved,
collected and well played.  There is a waltz named, yes, you guessed it,
Henry Reed Waltz.  One of those old-fashioned beautiful, key changing,
great-to-dance-to waltzes that supposedly has Scandinavian roots.  Have
you heard it?  If so, what do you think?  Where in Scandinavia would you
guess?  For the non-fiddlers in the group, the Henry Reed Waltz smacks
of tradition...Viennese waltzers would approve of this composition, with
it's distinctly different A and B parts, and the uplifting key change G
to D.

And for The Record, Dove's Roost Farm is in NoFla.  We grow heirloom
vegetables, Hickory King dent corn, Rattlesnake beans, cotton, and old
fashioned dye plants, and are home to several dozen wild doves...and a
pair  of turtledoves.  Fitting.  The name of our string band is The
Flying Turtles String Band.

How many fiddlers are there on this list?  Come on out of the closet...

Elle at  Dove's Roost  Farm
http://paletteable.livejournal.com/
http://dancingwoolymasters.blogspot.com/