ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bronwyn Bevan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:05:09 -0700

Hi,

The CILS Informal Learning Collaborative (at the Exploratorium) has,
over the last 5 years, offered a PD certificate program for educators
based at informal science institutions.  About 100 educators have
gone through the program to date.

There are volumes of work documenting effective PD principles and
what makes them effective.  We designed the 5-workshop ILC program
based on the work of Susan Loucks-Horsley (from a review of the
literature).  These are broad principles of PD design (versus the
particular content that you might select for science educators, math
educators or the particular settings or materials educators are
working with in museum, classroom, or outdoor settings).   They
reflect a general consensus on what matters.

They are (in a nutshell):

(1) providing a clear image of effective learning and teaching,
(2) providing opportunities for participants to develop knowledge and
skills to broaden their teaching approaches,
(3) using instructional approaches that mirror methods to be used
with their own audiences,
(4) building or strengthening an adult learning community,
(5) preparing participants to serve in leadership roles;
(6) consciously providing links to other parts of the educational system;
(7) including continuous assessment to determine efficacy and impact
of programs on participants

In terms of the content of the ILC, we have focused on inquiry
(within a museum context), educational policy (and how it relates to
museum work), research (on learning as well as on learning in
informal settings), and learning/workshop design.  The adult learning
community has been the framework for the work, and our evaluation
shows that it has had significant impact on participants' leadership
and program innovations.

We are about to start a new phase of this PD work focusing on
elucidating key learning design principles for informal contexts,
translating them to the work of participating museum educators do
with afterschool audiences, and assessing the results for
participating students.

***

On a separate front, our CILS colleagues Lynn Tran and Heather King
have written 2 papers about PD needs for museum educators:

Tran, L. U. & King, H. (2007). The professionalization of museum
educators: The case in science museums. Museum Management &
Curatorship, 22(2) 129-147.
Tran, L. U. (2007). Teaching science in museums: The pedagogy and
goals of museum educators. Science Education 91(2) 278-297.

Hope this is of help,

Bronwyn