ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:19:53 -0700
Subject:
From:
Anna Hurst <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:

Please excuse cross-postings.

A new issue of the Universe in the Classroom is now available:
http://www.astrosociety.org/education/publications/tnl/72/
darkmatter.html

Invisible Galaxies: The Story of Dark Matter
by Matthew Craig and Sarah Schultz

Dark matter makes up 80% of the matter in the universe, yet it is
invisible and we're not quite sure what it is. So how do we know that
it's there? How does its existence affect the evolution of the
universe? Find out in the latest issue of the Universe in the
Classroom, where you will also find classroom activities and a list
of additional resources related to dark matter.

Topics include:

    * What is the Universe made of?
    * If we can't see dark matter, how do we know it's there?
    * What other astronomical objects have we discovered without
seeing them first?
    * The motion of galaxies
    * How can we detect dark matter?
    * Links to two classroom activities about dark matter

http://www.astrosociety.org/education/publications/tnl/72/
darkmatter.html

If you missed our last issue, "How Fast Are You Moving When You Are
Sitting Still?" by Andrew Fraknoi, you can find it, along with all
the past issues back to 1984, in our archive:
http://www.astrosociety.org/education/publications/tnl/tnlarchive.html

Anna Hurst
Astronomical Society of the Pacific
390 Ashton Ave.