Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:42:38 -0500
I have permission to post from this family. I was their doula.This baby was
born mid november 2007. He had a completely drug free vaginal birth. This
email came to me "out of the blue". It has been a couple of months since they
have contacted me. I hope someone will have an idea of how to help this
lovely committed couple. I asked if Reynaud's Syndrome had been considered,
but haven't heard back, yet.
I took out the names, but otherwise all is exactly what
Dad writes:
"I am worried about Mom, though...would love your input if you have a
second.  Basically breastfeeding has been painful since day 1.  She has been
battling yeast/thrush in her breasts for the past 6 weeks (thankfully, Baby
doesn't have it).  She has done it all - Fluconazole, Gentian Violet,
Acidophilus, nipple cream, Nystatin, Grapefruit seed extract...!!!  And she is
still having shooting pain in her breasts.  OB and Lactation consultant were
supportive, but had no answers.   To me, Baby seems hungry most of the
time - not settled, not sleeping for very long, no naps...and when Anne finds
time to pump and feed him with the bottle, he always sucks the milk down in
record-time...and wants more!
When he is on the breast, it is a very different story.  He's almost always very
fussy at the breast, crying and often pulling off of the nipple - which is
causing great trauma to Anne's nipples (cracks, excruciating pain).  They are
especially wrecked most likely because they were so inverted her whole life -
until now.  She is often crying in pain while nursing Baby!  I feel so helpless!
I have had low-milk-supply theories, but can't be sure about that, and it is
hard to bring the subject up with Mom because I don't want her to feel like
she's failing in any way...Doctor has been concerned about his weight gain.
Of course, Mom is a fighter, and we do not want to resort to giving Baby
formula.  But Mom's sanity is starting to dwindle...and I worry for her all the
time."