ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jonah Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:59:44 -0400

Heck, some fears may date back to a time when our distant ancestors
hadn't moved down from the trees to the savanah: fear of snakes. I saw a
guy at the Philadelphia Natural History Museum give a demo with a live
snake; he asked the audience to raise their hand if they were afraid of
snakes. Then he asked people with their hands raised to tell why their
feared the ophidians. Try this - you'll get interesting answers.

True story: I was training a reluctant staffer to handle snakes. We were
sitting in our wildlife sanctuary, holdinmg a couple snakes, in front of
an enclosure where we have a caracal (a ~35 lb. african lynx). One
visitor saw him, and was oohing and ahhing over him, then saw the snakes
we were holding and jumped back in alarm. The irony: we were holding
ball pythons, possibly the most laid-back species on earth, and even if
they weren't, incapable of doing serious damage. Our caracal, while very
handsome, has a testy personality, and is fully capable of mussing you
up.

Don't fear the reaper,
Jonah

"Lisa! In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"

            -Homer Simpson