ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kasey Dolin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:52:06 -0400

Diane, your message saddens me.

One of the characteristics of the informal science setting that make it
such a powerful tool for communicating science to the public is, in my
opinion, the diverse interests, talents, and backgrounds of the
individuals who choose this setting in which to work.

Our job, in part, is to convince the general public that they can and
should invest effort into learning science; we must translate science
content into a format that is both relevant and accessible to our
audience.  Not every member of our audience is going to automatically
think of themselves as "a science person."  Do you suggest that we
alienate the guest/student who defines herself as "an art person," "a
theatre person," or "a literary person" by not hiring as educators the
individuals whose backgrounds bridge the (perceived) gap between science
and those fields?

In my experience, the science educational programming that touches the
most people in the most meaningful way is that which integrates diverse
elements from all over the disciplinary map - if your fine arts major of
whom you spoke so disparagingly had a background in textiles, maybe she
could have developed a workshop in which participants went out into a
meadow, identify and collected plant materials (field botany) that they
would then bring back to a lab to process and extract dyes from
(chemistry), which they would use to dye yarn/thread.  After a
discussion of how color is perceived by the eye (light, physiology),
they could then design/build/use a loom (engineering), study the
textiles of other cultures (anthropology), or compare and discuss the
aesthetic qualities of fabrics made from different materials after
examining the structures of these materials under a microscope.  Science
is everywhere, it is our job to help people learn to see the science in
their everyday lives.  Pardon me, but that skill isn't delivered
automatically with a PhD.

Sadly enough, certification as an elementary science teacher (at least
in my state) requires very little by way of actual science courses - 9
credits, I believe?     "Based on test scores, research shows that
college graduates who became teachers had less rigorous academic
preparation than those who did not go into teaching.  These findings are
further supported by transcript data from the National Education
Longitudinal Study of 1988 (NELS:88), which tracks student progress from
middle school through postsecondary education. Those who entered K-12
teaching trailed graduates in non-teaching occupations...took fewer
rigorous academic courses in high school, had lower achievement test
scores at the 12th grade, and scored lower on college entrance
examinations" (NSF Science & Engineering Indicators 2006).

So even a world where "Science teachers planning class trips will have
the option to pick museums that have certified science educators and art
teachers will be able to pick from museums with certified art
educators," there will be no guarantee of a quality educational
experience for students - unless...

...our home institutions seek out and cultivate the qualities of
effective communication, willingness and ability to process unfamiliar
content (I believe they call that being a life-long-learner), and
contagious passion coupled with exceptional critical thinking skills in
their employees.

Kasey Qynn Dolin
SOL Enrichment Coordinator
School Partnerships Programs