From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 15:22:12 -0600
Hello David & All,
I can not see a health issue for you or the bees with dyed cotton.  I have
seen cotton used but I can not say I ever ran across a beekeeper which used
cotton as his smoker fuel of choice. I  have used cotton on rare occasions
myself. An example would be the time I was moving bees in rain in hot
weather. Bees needed smoke and the smoker fuel box was empty. Grass was wet.
One of my favorite flannel shirts ( I was wearing) went up in smoke! In my
opinion cotton burns strange and is either too hot ( flames when pumped) or
going always out.
I think there are better choices for smoker fuel but maybe on the list are
beekeepers which use cotton exclusively for smoker fuel.
Years ago I soaked my smoker fuel in salt peter and I believe I had better
luck using cotton then. Now I prefer burlap but will use most dry grass as
fuel if nothing else around.
A funny story which I posted on BEE-L years ago but worth repeating.
When the fiber smoker fuel plugs first came on the scene all the bee
suppliers were handing out samples so I kept tossing in a box by my smoker
shelf. Finally I decided one spring I needed to use the fiber fuel. So I
did. I was going into a bee yard one day and the smoker was in a metal
bucket on the flatbed. The land owner was standing by the truck talking to
me. He kept talking about all the kids growing pot and the problems. He kept
bringing the subject back to pot. Then he made a sniffing gesture with his
nose. I laughed till I had tears in my eyes. he thought the smell of the
smoker fuel plug was pot! I showed him a pound smoker fuel plug and then we
both laughed. I am glad we settled his curiosity so word would not have been
spread by the land owner about the pot smoking beekeeper.
A metal smoker box is a good investment but I have only a smoker box on one
of my trucks. I am not sure exactly how many times I have had a smoker burn
up in a metal bucket on the box of a flatbed truck. The smoker get hot from
the wind going down the road and sets whatever might be flammable in the
bucket on fire. I know there is not supposed to be anything flammable in the
bucket but even a wooden entrance reducer can cause enough fire to catch the
bellows on fire! I usually use a spent 12 gauge shell casing to plug the
smoker hole but those get lost over time. A hand carved piece of wood works
too! Even the beekeepers favorite tool. Duck tape! Will help plug the smoker
hole and save smoker fuel and cut down on a chance of fire.
Ok lurkers here is a post all beekeepers can get involved in!

bob

--
believed to be clean.