From:
Teri Shilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:06:06 -0400
As a past president of Lamaze, I received this notification and was asked to
post it here as it was being discussed on this list.  For those of you who
do not subcribe to the Journal of Perinatal Education, it contained an ad
for a pillow that had bottles being used in a couple of the pics of their
pillows. It does not reflect a change in the Lamaze advertising guidelines,
it reflects a oversight in the review process - although I was not involved
I am assuming that nobody thought to look at a pillow ad to make sure it
didn't have bottles - they were not selling bottles.  I know this will never
happen again and ads regardless of what they are selling will be scrutinized
for bottles.

THE LETTER FROM LAMAZE:

Dear Lamaze Leaders,

We are writing to let you know that the current issue of The Journal of
Perinatal Education 17.1 carries an advertisement that includes bottle
images. The ad does not meet our advertising guidelines which require
compliance with the WHO Code.  This happened because of an oversight in our
review process. The next issue of the Journal will include an errata
message.  We have fine-tuned the current review process to include a final
sign-off by the editors on advertising as well as content.  We wanted to
make you aware of this issue early on in case it arises in discussion with
colleagues.

Wendy Budin, PhD, RN-BC, LCCE, FACCE
Editor in Chief

Linda Harmon, MPH