Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:23:16 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I do not have the August '07 JHL handy where block feeding was discussed so fabulously...

I have a client whose 4-month old is gaining well.  Her left breast is an abundant fountain, to put it mildly.  The right side is more "normal".  She has tried to simply nurse less frequently on the left side, but it continues to be problematic for her *and* the baby, who is very fussy on that side and refuses it at times.  She is not pumping the left side, but does find that she needs to hand-express to comfort at times or it becomes painful.  No other breastfeeding/nursing problems noted.

Here's my question...how can she use the concept of block feeding with just one side needing to be impacted?  Perhaps I am just math-challenged today, but I keep coming up with a very confusing (to the Mom) schedule.  What am I doing wrong?  Now that I'm looking at several versions, I'm even wondering whether she stimulates the "normal" side for a shorter time than the "abundant" side and, if so, what does that mean for the "normal" side in terms of frequency of stimulation?  Or would she stimulate the "abundant" side for a shorter time and give it a longer break before it's stimulated again?  What kind of time blocks would you use so that the schedule doesn't change from day to day?

Feeling ignorant in KS,
Rebecca DeYoung-Daniels, MBA, RD, LD, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2