From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:01:48 -0500
I went to an education program today.  One session was about treating PPD
with medications.  The speaker said new information was published this year
in the New England Journal of Medicine.  It says that SSRI's (Zoloft, Paxil,
Prozac, etc.) appear in hindmilk more than foremilk.  It also suggests
pumping and discarding the milk for 7-8 hours after taking the morning dose
of antidepressant to lessen exposure to the drug by the breastfeeding baby.
She made this suggestion based on the fact that the manufacturer does not
recommend breastfeeding, and that the AAP lists these medications as "Drugs
whose effect on nursing infants is unknown but may be of concern".  She
implied that the pump-and-discard plan was given in the article.

Besides indicating to me that the speaker does not know much about
breastfeeding, I think she also didn't bother to access reliable sources of
information about medications and breast milk.

Anyone else heard about this and/or know anything about it?  This may be the
next issue we need to be prepared to discuss and defend.

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
near Cleveland, Ohio