From:
Bill Dishman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:36:39 -0800
As a youngster, I was walking home from school and a neighbor was
cleaning out his garage.  He had a stack of the old 78 records.  I asked
if I could take some.  Scheherezade with Pierre Monteaux and the San
Franscisco Symphony marked the beginning of my love for classical music.
He also had several Gilbert and Sullivan operas (Mikado etc.) but I did
not care for these.

It tood six records to hear the entire piece.  I had an old Sears flip-top
turnable/record changer.  Got so frustrated having to put on a new disc
so often and breaking up the music that I tried putting all six on the
changer at once.  Unfortunately they were too heavy for mechanism and
all came down at once shattering 3 of the 6 records.

As providence would have it, I discovered that the public library checked
out classical Lp's (as well as books) and this opened up a whole new
world of classical literature for me to listen to.  And all for FREE as
this was all I could afford at the time.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida