From:
Iskender Savasir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:08:40 +0200
There seem to be several un- or semi- stated assumptions running
through this thread.  Among the semi-stated, argued for assumptions one
can mention the one about Philip Glass, Tan Dun and their ilk- that they
are no good, are just another sign of the regrettable demise of classical
music.  OK, "de gustibus non est disputandum" but there are assumptions
of a more general kind. WHat I have in mind is esp.  the prejudice (excuse
the term) agains "cross over".  Would people care to expound on what is
wrong with "cross over" or "fusion"?  I tend to think that the kind of
"purism", that such reactions against cross-over pine after is characteristic
of a very limited time-san or oevrue even within the short history of
classical music.

iskender