Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:16:03 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
This is a question about rotating objects in simulated 3D space, using a Windows OS.

Assume several artefacts are recovered from various levels in a pit.

For each artefact, three coordinates are surveyed - Easting (X), Northing (Y), and Elevation (Z).

The coordinates for these surveyed points are entered as data into a suitable GIS/CAD program. 

A rotatable data file is then created. The artefacts can now be rotated on screen, to look for pattern in their 'suspended' three dimensional distribution.

The specific question I have is about software that will allow the archaeologist to give a client the rotatable data file on a CD-ROM. The file must be in a format that allows the client to rotate the artefacts after merely opening the data file. In other words, the data file comes with some freely distributable runtime software, that preferably does not require installation.

Peter Bone's freely distributable program Lines3D.exe meets these specifications:

http://www.geocities.com/peter_bone_uk/software.html

However I am wondering whether there is some more elaborate GIS/CAD software that would allow greater detail, but also allow distribution of rotatable images. The client must not be required to install the third party software that was used to create the rotatable image in the first place.

My question comes out of the forensic field, where it may be necessary to display 3D evidence instantly and on numerous computers.

Richard Wright

ATOM RSS1 RSS2