From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 23:40:22 +0000
Jaye

Just seen your latest message, and then scrolled backwards through
several LACTNET digests to find the beginning of the thread.  I love
it that you always advocate so loudly for your moms and babies!  And
I think I hear where you're coming from.

It is true, teaching bottle-feeding in groups may not specifically
contravene the Code, but the BFHI doesn't permit it, and nor do the
HIV and infant feeding guidelines, where formula is actually
recommended IF it can be safely done (the emphasis is mine
...).   I'm also forced to acknowledge the reality that not all
mothers breastfeed, and that not even all mothers who want to
breastfeed receive sufficient help to do so.

I've taught individual breastfeeding mothers whose babies needed
formula supplementation to safely bottle-feed.  And I've taught
individual breastfeeding mothers how to express and feed sufficient
breastmilk by bottle in preparation for returning to work.  And I'm a
champion of breastmilk-feeding (EBM by bottle) for those mothers who
for whatever reason simply cannot actually put their babies to their
breast but do want them to have the "best" milk.  I've taught groups
of antenatal mothers for 16 years, but in answer to questions about
bottle-feeding EBM in preparation for a return to the workplace, I've
confined the discussion to the need to generate a really good
breastmilk supply in the (short) time that they will be home with
their babies, and suggested they might like to seek individual
assistance with the specifics - later.   In group situations (and in
reviewing/writing documents) I try to characterize formula-feeding as
a sort of unnecessary evil, which could be prevented if all mothers
received the help they needed to breastfeed.

The thought of actually teaching bottle-feeding of ABM to groups of
mothers would seem to go against the tide of breastfeeding advocacy
for several of the reasons Karleen mentioned - it would "idealize"
and "normalize" formula-feeding, and it would put your seal of
approval on it.  Is that what you want?

Finally, for mothers who really want the last word on how to safely
prepare and feed formula, you could refer them to the highest
authority.  Surprisingly, WHO have recently released the following documents:

WHO 2007, How to prepare formula for bottle-feeding at home.
<http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf>http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

WHO 2007, How to prepare formula for cup-feeding at home.
<http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Cup_en.pdf>http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Cup_en.pdf

WHO 2007, How to prepare powdered infant formula in care settings
<http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Care_en.pdf>http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Care_en.pdf

Pamela Morrison
Rustington, England