From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:25:52 -0700
My personal experiences over the last 6 months have exposed me to concerns, challenges and questions about the mechanics of breastfeeding and breastmilk that I never dreamed existed.  Here is my latest query, I stayed up late searching archives last night and found nada.

  Background:
  Apparently domperidone is used in treating horses to increase milk production, specifically to treat an equine toxicosis that effects normal partuition and lactogenisis.  From one source I've heard a concern that these horses treated with domperidone(Equidone) do not produce colostrum.  That has led to a query about the effects of domperidone on human milk, specifically on immunological components as they have been found to be lacking in the colostrum of mares treated with domperidone.

  Look- I know we are not horses, but this has gotten me curious:
  Does anyone know of any research related to the quality of human milk after using domperidone?  Does anyone know about this link found in horses treated with domperidone and lacking colostrum?

  Mary Herrington, RN, IBCLC
  Lactation Services
  Memorial Hermann
  The Woodlands, Tx