From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 15:04:53 -0500
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Another great find.

Yes, I loved the presentation!
Great work by Jennifer!

I agree with the results, I’ve seen tremendous increase in mite
populations in the ‘early stages’ of small cell use, and can explain my
theories here, and first hand experiences with this “phenomenon of small
cell” some other time.

I was disappointed in a single factor of the presentation that there was
not an expression of curiosity concerning why the mite populations were so
high in the small cell colonies,  questions unanswered should cause a
great curiosity.

The most interesting point I came away with is that the small cell
beekeeper she worked with
>who has few problems with his bees is a Joe W. type of beekeeper and
captures feral colonies.

Yes, Bill Owens collecting of feral bees is perhaps a major key to his
success.  My biggest competitor as of this date, seems to be the resurging
ferals in my area, which  perhaps have adopted a few traits of extreme
competitiveness in robbing behavior.  I have been rather unaffected due to
my colonies being well enough to defend properly, but I do see a
continuance of testing, as well as weak and smaller colonies being
obliterated very quickly by feral robbing,,, things are rapidly changing
on this aspect.  OR, perhaps it has been so long since we had abundant
feral population here in my area, I’ve forgotten what its like.  Perhaps
you right, the long lost art of good breeding deserves to be revived.

Best Wishes,
Joe