From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:20:51 -0800
Karl Miller wrote:

> It seems to me that we can value a painting, or a play, or a movie that
> might disturb us, and perhaps give us pause to reflect on something
> unpleasant.  Yet, why is it that we, collectively speaking, seem to
> reject the notion that music can have the same impact and that music
> that stretches our ears be considered worthy of our time.

Consider that the Western theatre tradition began with tragedy, so
people attend dramas knowing they may not end well but will teach something
about the human situation.  Paradoxically, some critics and philosophers
even speak of the "pleasures of tragedy." This applies to opera also.
Other music began as dance and song, I think, and even sad songs tend
to be beautiful.  Harris' Third Symphony can be heard as tragic and was
once extremely popular.

Now consider just what kind of music "stretches our ears." Give us some
examples.  If it is the kind that clears concert halls, the music itself
may be considered unpleasant.  It is not a matter of unworthy of people's
time, just a matter of puzzling unpleasantness for such audiences.

Jim Tobin