From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:46:31 -0800
Pablo Massa wrote:

>A few days ago I received one of my (anticipated) birthday presents: a
>Sibelius' Symphonies integrale (Karajan / Okko Kamu - Berlin Phil. / RSO
>Helsinki, 3CD DG 474 353-2).  I've not listened all of it yet but I think
>I like it, particularly Kamu's versions of 1st.  and 3rd.  I never heard
>before HvK playing a Sibelius symphony but, in first instance, I liked
>his 5th and 7th.  Time will confirm or not this first impression.
>
>I would like to read comments of listmembers on this integrale, if there's
>some.

Generally speaking, Karajan's earlier (EMI) Sibelius is more highly
regarded that his later (DG) efforts, although many pelple think his DG
5th is outstanding.

I think it's OK, but dislike his 7th quite a lot - and am astonished
that the hideously out of tune bassoon escaped the attention of all
concerned and made it onto the final release.

I enjoy the Kamu 1 and 3, though, as do you.

Have to say, though, that neither is my first choice in Sibelius.  That
would be Barbirolli, with Koussevitsky, Collins and Bernstein (Sony, not
DG) placing.

Deryk Barker