From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:52:39 -0400
Brandi and all,

Considering what our staff fridges usually look like here (we brought
leftovers and then didn't work for four days....) I don't know if this is a
battle worth all your energy today.
When we were working on our Nursing in Public law, one of the companies
(IBM) noted that they gave all their pumping moms a nice coooler bag with
the IBM logo on it - one of the sorts of things the bigwigs get at those
fancy luncheons or dinners or meetings. Breastmilk is really not very
fragile (one of the things that always bugged me was that the formula
companies should be giving the coolers and the ice packs to the formula
feeding mothers -- THAT stuff is very fragile), and the breastmilk  would be
fine and could be kept in a safe place where it won't be contaminated by
moldy leftovers or (worst case) nasty people. They do have backwards
thinking, don't they!
Another day in the future it might be worth that battle. But for today, see
if you can find some common ground for everybody and then congratulate them
that they were so good....As my mom would say, you'll get more flies with
honey than with vinegar. (And another little cliche - "A man convinced
against his will, is of the same opinion still" - maybe one of these days
the people who are fighting you and refusing to follow the HMBANA and etc
guidelines will need to pump!) Sigh. I sound like the psychologist I am!
Dawn Kersula MA, RN, IBCLC in Brattleboro, VT USA
...who just worked for a couple weeks on a Breastfeeding Update workshop and
had three people show up. But got invited to come do some in-office
inservices!