From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:46:41 -0700
> What have you heard in California Randy? Thousands of hives crashing from
> CCD?

Hi All,
I've been following your discussion, but have been too busy researching to
join in.  I just sent off the first of three articles on Nosema ceranae.
They will begin in the Dec ABJ.

I am in no way saying that ceranae is the CAUSE of CCD, but the etiology of
many of the collapse that have been documented, and the symptoms of N
ceranae infection are strikingly similar.
This is a worldwide phenomenon taking place in the last several years.  The
results of ceranae infection have been blamed on many other suspects, but
while we were sleeping, ceranae has displaced N apis throughout much of the
world in the past 10 years.  Forget most of what you know about nosema
infection--ceranae is a very different critter.  Any discussion of colony
collapses, poor buildup, or dwindling in any country is moot unless you have
a record of nosema spore counts prior.

To answer Bob's question, yes, beekeepers are having problems.  Those that
tested early for nosema (in June) are having fewer problems.

I don't want to discuss this any more until my articles come out.  Please
don't deluge me with emails!!!!

The first article will describe the etiology and seasonality of the disease,
its mode of reinfection, and its interactions with nutrition and viruses.

The next article will describe treatment methods--chemical, alternatives,
management, and comb disinfection.

The third article will illustrate how a beekeeper can take spore counts
himself, and will compare various sampling methods, and their advantages and
shortcomings.  I've got loads of photos to illustrate.

Folks, this one caught me by surprise, too!

I will post all to my new website after publication in ABJ.  The new website
is scientificbeekeeping.com, and requires no registration.  I am looking for
sponsors, so that I can continue my goal to get good scientific information
out to beekeepers.

Randy Oliver